CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Agapao

What does it mean to Agapao (perfect God love) God? In our Breaking Free class, Beth spoke about how Christ asked Peter if he agapao (love) him in which Peter replied twice, "Lord, you know I phileo (brotherly love) you. Finally, Jesus asked him the third time, "Okay, Peter do you phileo me?"

Christ wants us to AGAPAO him. Looking deeper at what agapao means drives me deeper into looking at it from God's perspective.

1 John 4:8 tells me that God is love. Taking the next step to find God's definition of what love looks like, I look at 1 Cor 13:4-7. I ask God for a fresh new look at this familiar passage. As I study each of the adjectives that describe love - patient, kind, longsuffering, gentle, not envious, not prideful, seeks not his/her own, always behaves appropriately, not easily provoked, doesn't think evil thoughts, doesn't rejoice in sin, rejoices in truth, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails - I realize anew this describes God. This is His character, this is who He is.

God wants the best for His children. He's always perfecting our faith as He loves us and wants the total completion of our faith to glorify Him. Going through a trial in my life right now I asked for Him to fill me with Agapao love. I appreciate Him showing me in 1 John 4:18 - There is no fear in love, perfect love casts out fear. Enlightening me that I wasn't "perfectly loving" Him when I'm focusing on the "trial" with fearful thoughts - I am failing to "Agapao" Him. He wants me to trust Him completely out of my understanding and knowing of who He is and whose I am.

His promises our true, He always keeps His word, He's faithful, He's dependable, He's perfect.

Isaiah 41:13 For I am the Lord, your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear. I will help you!

Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you, he will never let the righteous fall.

Psalm 91:14-16
"Because he loves me," says the Lord, I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him."

2 Corinthians 12:9
He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses. So that Christ's power may rest on me.

Isaiah 58:11
The Lord will guide you always, He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden. Like a spring whose waters never fail.

Nahum 1:7
The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him.

Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.

Thank you for your word Lord, your truth, your unfailing love - I ask that you reveal to me how I may have agapao-perfect love for You and not settle for phileo. Fill me with your wisdom, knowledge and understanding so that I always abide in You. In Jesus name, Amen.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thank you for your post!! It really lifted me this morning. Not sure what struggles you are facing but you can bet I'm praying for you.
Our trials are His, as each one has passed before Him leaving with His seal of approval stamped on it. When it comes to us we know it is with some great purpose. Let us not miss it, but fulfill it ;o)

Rhonda B

luvgod2 said...

Thank you Rhonda! It is for a purpose that He has for us - I hold fast to that wonderful truth -thank you for the reminder and prayers!

Unknown said...

I'm checking in to see how things are going with your husbands business. You asked me to pray on my prayer blog. I pray things are going okay!
God Bless